Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire six locally-recruited high school students to complete conservation projects, assisting park staff with hurricane restoration, and engaging in environmental education in the Virgin Islands National Park. There is no housing provided for this position, we are looking for local candidates ideally, or those with housing connections on St. Thomas or St. John. Two co-leaders will work with students during business hours M-F, with nights and weekends off.
Program Dates: TBD, tentatively June 11th – August 3rd, 2018 (with mandatory training in May)
- Act as Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork.
- Function as a Technical Advisor to guide and mentor members to complete quality work.
- Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationship with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects.
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and reporting outputs.
- Act as Environmental Educator for youth enrolled.
- Operate hand & power tools and motorized vehicles.
- The work requires physical exertion, such as walking over wet, rough, uneven or rocky surfaces, bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, climbing, or similar activities. Work requires average agility and dexterity. The majority of the work is performed outdoors. Temperature and weather extremes may be encountered.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory (paid Crew Leader training: 5/14-5/24/2018
- Current First Aid (WFA Preferred) and CPR certification or willingness to acquire certification
- Experience working with young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred (i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening)
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- There is no housing provided for this position, we are looking for local candidates ideally, or those with housing connections on St. Thomas or St. John.
Compensation: $600 per week, paid trainng
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
View Post: https://www.thesca.org/virgin-islands-national-park-ycc-leader
About The Student Conservation Association
SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land.