Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the YCC Canaan Valley team. The team will be working in Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge in Davis, West Virginia.
Training Dates: May 14th – 24th, 2018
Program Dates: July 2nd- August 24th, 2018
Serve as the Youth Conservation Corp group leader and supervisor. The Leader will coordinate five youth ranging 15-18, Monday through Friday during regular business hours with one potential overnight camping trip. Leader will be responsible for safety, administration, clerical, biological, ecological, and environmental education for the youth enrolled. Operate hand and power tools, motorized vehicles. The work requires physical exertion, such as walking over wet, rough, uneven or rocky surfaces, bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, climbing, or similar activities. Work requires average agility and dexterity. The majority of the work is performed outdoors. Temperature and weather extremes may be encountered.
Projects include: repair boardwalks, build bridges, trail maintenance (water breaks repairs), visitor center garden maintenance, assist in wildlife (Woodcock, Bat, and vernal pool) surveys, invasive species removal, building maintenance (mow/weed-eat), fence post removal, data management, and tree planting.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: (May 14-24, 2018)
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 15-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: $600 per week. One-time $1,000 travel payment. Housing is provided for this position. A personal vehicle is strongly encouraged.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
About The Student Conservation Association
SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land.