- Trail Crew 18-25+ years (Nationwide residents)
- Fire Crew 18-25+ years (Nationwide residents)
- Chainsaw Crew 18-25+ years (Nationwide residents)
*18-25 is our required age range per grant requirements but some exceptions can be made if you are over the cap.
- Trail Crew Summer Session: Jun 1st- Aug 10th
- Trail Crew Fall Season: Aug 17th- Mid Oct
- Saw Crew Summer Session: May 25th (Tentative start) – Aug 10th
- Fire Crew Longterm Session: May 25th (tentative start) – Late Sep or Mid Oct
- Trail Crew Longterm Session: Jun 1st – Late Sep/Mid Oct
Stipend: Weekly living stipend of $373
Registration Fee: RMYC collects a one time $75 registration fee to cover administrative costs. You have the choice to pay this fee with check/cash or you can opt to have it paid out of your first, full, two-week paycheck.
AmeriCorps Benefits: Members may be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of the season. RMYC offers 300 hour, 450 hour and 675 hour terms of service. Education awards range from $1230 to $2,215 upon successful completion of the season.
Plus: Lodging (camping!), transportation, recreational and educational opportunities and all food is provided for the duration of the season.
Essential Position Functions:
- Ability to live and serve closely with a diverse group of people for 10 weeks in a 24/7 setting
- Physical ability to serve outside for 8-10 hours a day swinging a hand tool or using a chainsaw (No prior experience is required)
- The position requires extensive bending, lifting, pushing, stooping, carrying and other heavy physical labor for extended periods of time
- To maximize the “wilderness experience,” the use of technology is regulated during the week
- Rocky Mountain Youth Corps’ programs are drug, alcohol and tobacco free
- Corps members may be required to carry a backpack with personal and/or group equipment and tools for extended periods of time or long distances
- The nature of the environment requires that corps members utilize appropriate safety equipment such as leather gloves, hard hat, long pants, and protective glasses
- Must adhere to the rules and regulations of RMYC and AmeriCorps
- Member must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement
- Motivation, a positive attitude, and a general interest in conservation service
- Ability to sleep in a tent and serve all summer in a variety of weather conditions (rain, snow, sleet, and hail!)
- Ability to commit to a full summer (10 weeks) with RMYC
- Frequently required to walk, hike, sit and talk or listen
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50 lbs., and able to hike between 7-10 miles
- Pre-service background screening required including FBI background check
- Must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Must be between the ages of 18-25
About Rocky Mountain Youth Corps
Rocky Mountain Youth Corps engages young people in the outdoors, inspiring them to use their strengths and potential to lead healthy, productive lives. We teach responsibility for self, community and environment through teamwork, service and experiential education.
Being part of an RMYC crew involves spending a season living and working with a team of 8-10 people and completing meaningful conservation projects throughout northwest Colorado and Wyoming. Corps members live and work together 24/7 in a camping environment, completing priority projects during the week, and exploring the beautiful outdoor spaces of the Rocky Mountains on the weekends. Participation involves hard work in tough conditions, but makes for amazing memories and experiences.